Monday, June 16, 2014

Back in Cedar Falls

June 16, 2014

I arrived at my home for the summer in Cedar Falls Thursday evening.  Have to say a big Thank You to Ron and Gretchen Koinzan for offering a house-sitting and cat care opportunity for me while I'm in town.  Friday morning I picked up the keys to the theatre and the binder of show information/forms and had lunch with my old friend, Mark Parrott, who will again be designing the scenery for the show.

My phone conversation with Gretta on June 2nd was very informative and I was able to develop a list of tasks to be completed prior to the company meeting on June 22.  Those are the things on which I will concentrate this week.  Purchasing toys for concessions, printing the tickets, updating the various forms for parents to fill out, sending performance information to the various online events calendars for the region, creating a flier for the College Hill Arts Festival, and mailing out costume sponsorship letters.

We also discussed the addition of at least 18 characters to the story in order to provide more parts for our 40+ actors.  I of course expected these additions so it won't be difficult to accommodate them in my design.  One addition is the appearance of the horses that the mice are turned into by the fairy godmother.  I had done some research on horses and costumes several months ago but then discovered when I received a copy of the script that they don't actually appear on stage.  Gretta has changed that though.


 A concern for me as the point person for marketing/ticketing/front-of-house is the closure of the main entrances to the Strayer-Wood Theatre in the front of the building.  The university has begun tearing out the concrete sidewalks and courtyard in order to redesign and replace the outdoor space and the work will not be completed until after our show closes.  Therefore, I'm going to have to brainstorm with the team alternative building entrances that will be accessible for all audience members.

No comments:

Post a Comment