Monday, June 16, 2014

Let's Begin



June 1, 2014

In less than two weeks, I am returning to Cedar Falls to spend my 12th summer working with Gretta and the Sturgis Youth Theatre.  This summer, we will be producing The Glass Slipper, the story of Cinderella.  I am serving as publicity and ticket manager and costume designer.  Although the official date isn't for another three weeks, work on the show began several weeks ago.  Last night I decided that I wanted to write about my experiences with the company this summer, to share with anyone interested but also as a part of my own process.

Working with Gretta, Mark and the students of the Sturgis Youth Theatre has been a highlight of my professional life nearly every year since 1999.  I've had the pleasure of meeting so many interesting, energetic, vibrant, talented kids and watching them grow into successful young adults.  When I left my position at UNI in 2010, I assumed that my work with the company had come to an end, although I would always remain a strong advocate.  Fortunately, I was wrong.  Last summer, Gretta invited me to return as publicity manager for Jack and the Magic Beans.  As soon as I was able to clear my schedule, I accepted. This summer, I get to return as costume designer as well, a position that I am really enjoying as it provides me with a creative outlet that I don't usually have.  My previous costume design experience is limited, serving as assistant designer to Amy RohrBerg on the Cedar Falls Community Theatre production of The Man of La Mancha and costume designer for the 2010 SYT production of James and the Giant Peach.  I really must thank Amy, Carol Colburn and Linda Grimm for allowing me to hang out in the Strayer-Wood Theatre costume studio so much and sharing their knowledge.  And thank Gretta for believing in my ability to design this show.

I've already read the script three times, highlighting costume references and anything I can use in marketing.  Research for costumes and concessions has begun and a board created on my Pinterest account. (Side note: I probably spend way too much time on Pinterest.)  The costume chart and tickets have both been started.  I'm also in the process of creating small signs that say "If the shoe fits…", based on the last line of the play.

The production team in Cedar Falls met on Friday for a first production meeting.  Because I had to work, I was not able to phone in.  However, Gretta and I will be talking on Tuesday morning.  In advance of that conversation, I need to create a few lists and define my responsibilities to the show.

Responsibilities:

1. Costume Designer - as far as a job description goes, this one is fairly straight forward: design and create the costumes and hair/makeup designs for the show.

2. Publicity & Ticketing Manager - manage all marketing efforts, supervise ticket operations, collaborate with Gretta on costume sponsorship fundraising campaign, research and order concessions items.

To Do List:  Week of June 1, 2014

1. Finish creating tickets and ready for print
2. List show on web calendar sites
            a. Cedar Valley & Iowa Tourism sites
            b. local & regional television & radio station sites
            c. Waterloo Courier & Cedar Falls Times
3. Complete "If the Shoe Fits" plaques
4. Make earrings for concession
5. Research local YMCA/YWCA kids camps, day care centers, and home schooling programs for group sales
6. Pack for trip

Topics & Questions for conversation with Gretta:

            Marketing
1. Can I get access to SYT Facebook page?
2.  Who will update SYT website and when will it be done?  I want to make sure the purchase ticket link is NOT on the page like it was last summer.  This caused a few problems.
3. What is my budget?
4. Has there been any interest from Cedar Falls Rec Center again?
5. I plan to create a flier about the show for the College Hill Arts Festival.  Will there be a Theatre UNI presence at the event?
6. This is the 15th anniversary of the SYT.  Do we want to recognize this in some special way?
7. Has an assistant been hired and do we know the expectations of this person?
8.  I plan to tweet and blog throughout the process and welcome anyone who wishes to follow.

Concessions
1. I need another toy for boys.  Will there be swords in the show?

Costume Design
1. Is there a character breakdown yet?  I'm wondering if there might be a third stepsister.
2. To avoid the Disney reference, I really don't want to put Cinderella in a blue dress for the ball, although the decision will depend partially on what we have available in stock.
3. Glass slippers or sparkly jeweled slippers?  See research on Pinterest.
4. Pumpkin Head character - I'm thinking a pumpkin mask, green scarf with leaves and brown pants & shirt.  Does Gretta know anyone who could crochet the scarf for us?  I have a pattern.
5. Cat - we could use a half-face mask or cat style glasses, a nose with whiskers and head band with ears.  Does Gretta have a color in mind for the cat?
6. Mouse - half-face mask or nose with whiskers and head band with ears.  Gray mouse with pink tail.
7. Stepsisters - house coats for the ugly bathrobes?  Toilet paper roll curlers in their hair.  Big feather hair pieces and gaudy jewelry with their ball gowns.  See Pinterest for research.
8. Stepmother - a little more put together than her daughters.
9. Fairy Godmother - wings & glasses
10.  Assistant - waif, raggy clothes, fingerless gloves, suggestion of wings sprouting on her back

I probably won't write every day, although I plan to tweet, take pictures and post of both the SYT and my personal Facebook pages daily.  Information regarding the performance dates and times will be available within the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment