Monday, June 30, 2014

SYT Newbies: A Parent’s Perspective

by Tyann Sheldon Rouw

When Gretta spoke to parents and students during the kick-off meeting earlier this month, I came prepared with a pen and paper. I scribbled down notes and hung on her every word. Our family is new to Sturgis Youth Theatre (SYT), and I want to do what I can to help my sons be successful. We have gotten to know Gretta via Spectrum Theatre, which occurs several times during the school year on Sunday afternoons -- when the Green Bay Packers aren’t playing --for kids on the autism spectrum.

For the past few years, Gretta has encouraged Noah and Henry to participate in SYT. They had no interest. As a mother and supporter of the arts, I knew how much they would grow if they could be involved in a summer theatre program.  I took them to last year’s performance of Jack and the Beanstalk. They both enjoyed it and even recognized a few classmates in various roles, but they couldn’t imagine themselves being involved in anything similar.

Months ago when we were all wearing winter coats and snow boots, Gretta asked them to read a few scripts she was considering for this year’s play. Would they be up for the challenge of providing her valuable feedback? It was serious business. Noah and Henry met Gretta at Cup of Joe on more than one occasion to discuss their thoughts and eat cookies. (Coffee may have been consumed, too.) They gave their reports. She asked questions. Noah volunteered to read various versions of Cinderella and report his findings. We emailed a few times to discuss important agenda items. Needless to say, the boys were thrilled to assist the director.

When Gretta told them she had chosen The Glass Slipper: The Story of Cinderella, they were already familiar with the script. After all, they had been important players in the process. When she asked, “Will you help me out this summer?  Will you work with me in Sturgis Youth Theatre? Are you in?” they both said yes. She needed firm commitments, so she asked them again.

I think she even asked them to shake on it, but I don’t remember for sure. (I was sitting on a long couch at Cup of Joe, watching from afar and digging in my purse for a tissue because my eyes were filled with happy tears.)  It took a long time to get a commitment.

And here we are.

I jotted down notes during the kick-off meeting as Gretta spoke, and these are some of the highlights:

To participate, you just show up and work hard. There are no auditions. I never thought it was fair that some people got a part and others didn’t.  Everyone at SYT gets more than one part!

I told my mom at age seven that I wanted to have my own theatre someday, so this is a dream come true.  (At this point I started dabbing my eyes; I couldn’t help it. Here’s a woman who at age seven knew her true calling in life. Meanwhile, I’m 43 and still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.)

Nobody owns a role. And if anyone is wearing a tiara, it’s going to be me.

It’s rare and wonderful to find such an inclusive activity. A place where anyone can be involved? Nobody sits on the bench? Noah has been involved in music, which has been a wonderful experience for him. He played flag football but admitted it wasn’t really his thing. He said if he had to join the tackle team, he would be spending most of his time in the emergency room. Henry tried soccer once and said never again.

The advice she gave was this: Bring chocolate when you forget your pencil. Be accountable and responsible. Don’t lose your parents’ paperwork. Learn the elements of a play. Learn self-discipline. Show up, work hard, and you’re part of the group.  Have fun.

How dreamy.

I jotted down the details about how to order tickets and what they needed to bring to each rehearsal so they wouldn’t be raked over the coals. Then I heard Gretta say the actors will be vacuuming and hanging up costumes, and she was sorry if those skills would not transfer to their home environments. (I laughed out loud. I just knew she was just talking to me, but when I looked around, I saw a lot of parents smiling, too.)   
Noah and Henry have been officially rehearsing scenes since June 25 – I know it hasn’t been too long. They don’t bat an eye about packing up a picnic dinner and spending five hours at the theatre. (Just between you and me, I’m over the moon with excitement, too, when they are gone for such a long stretch.) They have met new friends and are privy to inside jokes. After being gone for 2.5 hours at rehearsal, they say things like, “Well, that went fast.”

I just look at them and smile. It’s a dream come true.

At home I hear them talking about the play. They look forward to being with other people who are in their scenes. Henry said he has memorized his lines for one scene. Then he asked me if we owned a hoe.
Gretta told me she looked at Henry after rehearsal one day and had never seen him smiling so big. He can be a pretty serious guy. I know the smile. I’ve seen it, too, and it’s more frequent lately.  

I picked up Noah the other day after rehearsal, and as we drove home, I asked him the million dollar question.  “Do you think you might want to do this next year?”

“Yes,” he said, “I want to do this again until someone tells me I’m too old to do it. By my calculations, I think I have at least another year left.”


“I’m so glad,” I managed to say.  I had a lump in my throat. I would have reached for a tissue, but I didn’t have one with me.  


WeeMee avatar for Gretta, created by Henry


Suzanne Bartlett commented:  Yay! I love the way Gretta roped Noah and Henry in. She's a genius, that lady! I knew the boys would love it. I, too, am forever indebted to Gretta for this incredible, inclusive opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment